Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of the Migrants

The Pontifical Council called a meeting of those involved with the Pastoral Care of International students in Rome from Oct.9-12. I am very thankful to the Council for inviting me to attend the Conference.Around 46 delegates were present for the Conference.We had delegates from all continents and nations.
Even though it lasted only for a couple of days, the discussions were intense and all the participants got involved by offering their suggestions. I was present on a panel which dealt with the problems of Asian students who were going out to join foreign Universities.As India was sending the second largest contingent of students to foreign Universities, it is appropriate that  India was represented at the meeting.
The meeting started on Oct.10th with a prayer meeting and the  inaugural speech by Bp.Kalthiparampil.
Right away the group moved into presentations and panel discussions.
I raised the point of making special arrangments for the Catholic students to preserve their faith through the help of parishes surrounding the Universities where the foreign students study.
I had also the opportunity of saying an anniversary mass for Abp.Kavukatt at one of the crypt chapels at St.Peter's Basilica.More than 10 priests from Changnacherry,Kanjirappally,Pala and Thucklay, concelebrated with me.I left immediately after the mass as I had to be present for thePanel discussion at the meeting.I am lucky to have reached the place just five minutes before it was officially beginning to start.
I was very fortunate that I had the help of Santimon Jacob through out my stay in Rome.His presence and assistance made my stay very comfortable and pleasant.
I got also a chance to meet with Cardinal Alencherry  and to have lunchwith him.We took him back to St.Martha's residence where he was staying.

No comments: