Monday, March 19, 2018

St.Peter

From James Martin's book:
Richard Rohr: We clearly come to God not by doing it right but ironically by doing it wrong."
James Martin's doubts about his vocation.
" I was being called to be a Jesuit not despite my faults,my limitations, and my neuroses, but with them, may be even because of them.God was calling all of me--even the parts I did not especially like--to be with him.
"Understanding Peter's humanity was a liberating insight for me.For if God calls each of us individually, he calls us with both our gifts and our failings.And it is in our failings and in the parts of our lives that embarrass us , that we are drawn closest to God."
"Everyone needs to be reminded of this: it is difficult to accept that God loves us as we are, with our limitations, as well as our tendencies to sin,Certainly God is calling us to conversion...At the same time God is always inviting us to follow him, with a full and forgiving knowledge of our human nature.
"Being a Christian means being a loved sinner"
"It is precisely our limitations and even our tendency to sin, that draw us nearer to God and make us better disciples."
"Peter was as imperfect as the rest of the disciples but in his humility he recognized his ultimate dependence on God.For this reason,he is at least for me , the most human of the saints and one of the most lovable.

No comments: