Saturday, December 30, 2023

Prof.V.S.Joseph

 I offer my prayers for the repose of the soul of Prof.V.S. Joseph. He passed away a couple of days ago and his funeral will take place, tomorrow, Sunday, Dec.31. He was a gentle and respectful teacher who was totally committed to the teaching profession. I was his student in the Postgraduate course. What brought us closer was when we were designated to participate in the Seminar under the auspices of the American Consulate in Trivandrum. It was my first year as a teacher, just a few months after joining the Dept. We came closer through our interactions and presence at the Seminar. I read a paper on "The Moral Vision of D.H. Lawrence."In fact, that paper served as one of my documents for my applications to the Graduate Depts of many US Universities. It was the participation in the Seminar that prompted me to go to the US for my doctoral studies. Many of the teachers who participated in the seminar soon got their Ph. Ds in English Literature. After my return from the US, I worked in the Depat along with Prof. V.S. Joseph. We came to know more about Prof.V.S. from the humorous remarks of Prof.KA George.

Prof.V.S. also worked in a Christian ministry as an evangelist. He was never at rest, always moving around as a preacher or as a teacher. He suffered physically and emotionally in his life. May God grant him eternal rest. He was a teacher, soft and gentle like the morning dew, and was held in great esteem by the students. I won't be able to attend his funeral but I offer my prayers for him .May the angels carry him forward to our Father in heaven amid heavenly glory and joy.

No comments: