Sunday, July 25, 2010

High School

Leo-Xlll High School(1953-56)

It was with great joy and excitement that I joined Leo Xlll high school in 1953 to continue my studies. We had to walk for an hour at least to reach the school from Thathampally. I don’t have a great recollection of my various class mates at school. But we were a few from Thathampally at the School. Three of my close friends are V.T. Joseph Jacob and K.A. Matthew. I was very often walking along with Chandy from my home to school. Chandy would come by my house and I would go with him. We were good friends at that time. Sometimes I used to go with Pious as Pious too would come by our house. We would also return together from school to our house.

We had a habit of stopping at the Latin Cathedral just across the road form the school to pray before we joined the classes. I had only loving memories of my teachers at school especially the Jesuit Fathers. The headmaster was Fr.Paul Kunnumkal who was very serious in his demeanor but also very considerate. Fr.M.C. Joseph ,Br.Scaria and Br. John were the others who did have a great influence on my life as a student at the school. Sometimes after our terminal exams, they would ask me to meet them personally and then, would correct my papers before me. What a a great way of teaching ! When I came out top in the class in my first year at the School, I was given a special medal known as"Top Boy",presented personally by the Headmaster in front of the whole class. I remember walking home proudly wearing the medal. These awards were great sources of motivation and enabled me to keep the high grade always.

Once I remember passing through the corridor before the class of Mr. John Kattoor and he called me and my friend Chandy into the class. We were really frightened as he was very strict and used to give severe spanking . He asked who my father was. My father was at the time the Manager of the State Aided Bank of Travancore. He immediately recognized my father’s name and said right away that my father was one of his students. But poor Chandy got all the spanking.

The other teachers who come to my mind are Mr.T.X.Lawrence and Mr.John Sebastian. They were brothers. Mr. Lawrence would teach Mathematics like a novel, making it very interesting. He would sit on the table and explain in a very lucid manner the theories he was teaching. Mr. John Sebastian was not only a good teacher but also a great social worker.H was also a great activist for the Vincent De Paul Society. There were two young teachers, T.L. Isaac and Mr. Jacob Joseph Kattezham.Mr. Jacob Joseph was very inspiring as a science teacher and was involved in many extra curricular activities at the school.

On First Fridays , we had to go to the school very early in the morning for the mass. We also took part in the Stations of the cross in Lent. Fr.M.C. Joseph who led the prayers would burst into tears when he came to the the stations on the fall of Jesus. .

The religious instruction class was engaged by the Fathers and I remember the class taught by Fr.Purakal.He would explain very lucidly and beautifully the ten commandments.

I was appointed the secretary of the literary society while at the school. Working as the secretary offered me several opportunities for making short speeches as well as for making reports.Participation in literary activities developed our leadership skills.

I remember once going for the movie Macbeth screened on our campus one evening. My younger brother wanted to come with me. First I was reluctant but then after my father’s intervention, I had to take him with me. Looking back, I feel fortunate in having got an opportunity to get exposed to classic works at such an early age.

I remember the day I went to find out the result of my S.S.L.C exam results. I went to the office of the Deepika at Alleppey and there was a big crowd of students waiting to know the results. Mr. Babu Manjooran who was my senior at school spotted me from the crowd and immediately blurted out that I was placed in the first class. It was a very happy day as there were only four first classes at the S.S.L.C examination from the four batches at our school. It was with great joy that I went home to announce the results to my family.

The learning we got at our High school run by the Jesuit fathers was excellent. Every one was known by the teachers and they paid special attention to our studies and behavior. Even though in those days , we had to walk miles to reach the school, the effort was never felt as a burden. The Jesuit fathers kept a very high standard for the school. It was also a time when we had been involved in very many activities. The football team of the school was well known. The annual match between the Leo Xlll and the S.D.V High schools was a great event in the town.

It was when I was studying in the High school that Pandit Jawarhal Nehru came to town to speak at the beach .I remember going for the meeting. It was the scouts at our school that gave him the guard of honor. One of my classmates was the Captain of the scouts and he gave the guard of honor. Nehru lifted him up from where he stood and showed his appreciation for the honor.

I was asked by the Headmaster to be a delegate for the regional M.C.S.L meeting. With Mr.T.V.Abraham, I went to Kottayam by boat and took part int he discussions. it was there that I met Fr.William who was then working as the Chief Editor of the Deepika.His inspiring words, long beard and the brown Carmelite habit still remain vividly in my mind.

I kept in touch with some of my teachers after I left school. I used to write to Fr.John and I remember receiving his picture and letter after his ordination as a priest. Later, when I was the Warden of St. Joseph’s hostel, I took my students on our way to Madras by the church where he was working as Pastor in Theni.




M.nityce.

No comments: