Saturday, February 17, 2024

Fr.Ettoli

 I felt despondent when I received the news of the passing away of Fr. Ettolil. I felt really shocked because it was a few months ago that I met him at Ponkunnam church where he was staying as a resident. I had no idea that he would be there but seeing him there made me very happy. We spent some time regaling ourselves with the stories of our past seminary life. We were together in the Minor Seminary at Parel when we were doing our studies at SB. He was a year senior to me and his degree was in economics. After his ordination and after a few stints at some of the parishes in Changanacherry, he was selected for studies at Louvain University. After spending a couple of years there he moved to NY. When I arrived in NY on Dec.29,1976, he was there at JFK to receive me along with Fr. Jose Alencherry and Fr. Mathew Muthuplakal. Then, I went to his place in Nyack, NY, and spent the New Year with him, taking part in the dance party of the parish. I saw his parishioners' love for him as many were calling him, Tom, Tom, and found joy in speaking to him. Then, he took me to the airport on my continued flight to Indianapolis. In fact, I spent my first days in the US with him. We maintained contact with each other during the time I was in Indiana. Once when he was going on vacation in Canada, he called me and asked whether he should try for my admission to a Ph.D. program at a Canadian university. He was always smiling and cordial. His pleasant manners drew a lot of people to him. Even though I didn't have any contact with him after my return from the US, there was always a warm-hearted feeling for him.

God bless him and give him eternal rest. He is in heaven enjoying the unbounded happiness that Our Lord is giving him. He was a faithful servant and he gets all the benefits of his good service for the Lord in heaven.

No comments: