Monday, February 12, 2024

Fr.Thuruthel

 The funeral of Fr .Thuruthel is taking place today, Feb.12,24.Many bishops who were his students are celebrating the mass in the presence of Cardinal Mar George Alencherry.I went there yesterday to say the office for the dead when his body was brought to the auditorium.Fr.Siju Azhakathil guided me when I reached the Deepti House.Frs. Joby and Joseph Pulively too joined us in  the prayers. We left the place after coffee and snacks. They were very courteous and full of warm and cordial feelings. 

I felt honored and respected by their cordial and warm hospitality. Fr.Siju was with me all the time I was there and I felt very happy because of the way he received me and introduced me to the priests there.

Fr. Thurthel was one of our teachers at the seminary. He taught us English at Carmelgiri. The classes were superfluous for us who came as graduates. We were sitting in a class where the majority of the students did not have the chance to receive a college education. After having had so many years of instruction under Prof.Sheppard and Prof. A.E. Augustine with lots of classes in  English poetry and drama, we didn't need to sit through the classes in English at the Seminary. But Fr. Thuruthel was very gentlemanly and courteous.  His sense of humor, acts of courtesy, etc were unforgettable. May God bless him and give him eternal peace. He led a long life of retirement and had enough time to spend with God. His life should be a  model for every priest. I too should spend my time with the Lord. I don't have to worry about acquiring more knowledge. What is needed is the purification of my life, fasting, and almsgiving.


No comments: