Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Visit to the USA,2019



Thank you-6
August-2,Friday
Lord, thank you for this day.Let me use this day in praising you.
I don't have to think of achieving anything specially.
What is needed is to remain in the Lord, praising him. The peace in my heart comes from my being united with the Lord. The Gospels and the psalms are enough to give me joy and peace of mind.
O,Jesus , bless me.Thank you again.
Today in the Gospel of Luke, I  read the part where Jesus sends the 72 disciples for preaching.What is emphasized is the duty of preaching.Never to think of any conveniences or appurtenances.The Lord will provide everything that is needed.We are asked to focus on  the teachings of the Lord.
I did not do any reading today.
I will spend the time in devoting myself to you ,Lord.There will be only You in my life.As the Imitation of Christ says, once we have Jesus , we don't have to worry about anything.
Pity, there is nothing for me to do!Well, whatever I have done is enough.
In Holy Father's book on God is Mercy, there is an important passage that is relevant to my thoughts on sinfulness:
Recognizing oneself as a sinner is a grace.It is a grace that is granted to you.Recognizing oneself as a sinner is something else. It means standing in front of God who is our everything,and presenting him with our selves which are nothing,our  miseries, our sins.(p.45)
 “The Church fathers teach us that a shattered heart is the most pleasing gift to God.It is the sign that we are conscious of our sins,of the evil we have done,of our wretchedness, and of our need for forgiveness and mercy.(p.44)
Only he who has been touched and caressed by the tenderness of his mercy really knows the Lord.For this reason I have often said that the place where my encounter with the mercy of Jesus takes place is my sin.(p.48)
A priest needs to think of his own sins, to listen with tenderness, to pray to the Lord for a heart as merciful as his, and not to cast the first stone because he too is a sinner who needs to be forgiven.(p.61)
The most important thing in the life of every man and every woman is not that they should never fall along the way.The important thing is always  to get back up,not to stay on the ground licking your wounds.
The Lord of Mercy always forgives me; he always offers me the possibility of starting over.He loves me for what I am. He wants to raise me up and he extends his hand to me.
One of the tasks of the Church: to help people perceive that there are no situations that they cannot get out of.For as long as we are alive it is always possible to start over, all we have to do is let Jesus embrace us and forgive us.(p.82)
God forgives everyone, he offers new possibilities to everyone, he showers his mercy on every one who asks for it.We are the ones who do not know how to forgive.p.112
Family—the place where we learn to get up after a fall
Family is the hospital close to us when someone is sick, he is cared for there.
Family is the first school for the children
Family is the best home for the elderly
The first school of mercy  where we are forgiven and learned  to forgive. (p.123)
August 3,Saturday
I am at Mt .St.Thomas.Spent some time in the Chapel , thanking the Lord for his blessings and asking him to bless my family and  friends.
I have just begun reading  Sheen's “Lift up Your Heart” to get some inspiring thoughts.
Sheen has the following to say about the building of character.
“Everyone in the world is defeated in one area of life or another....we all have to accept failure;we do not have to lament it.
No false optimism...the Christian has never expected the earth to be his paradise.
The first step in character training is to discover what is worst in us.
The blessedness of temptations is twofold.It reveals the weak spot in our character and the same temptation gives us an occasion by refusing to submit to it.
Earth does not reveal its harvest without plowing,nor the the minds their treasure without study, nor nature its secret without investigation.
The defect may become our greatest strength. p.125
The greatest sinners sometimes make the greatest saints...
The convents and monasteries are full of potential devils---saintly souls who could have been very wicked men and women, if they had not corresponded to God's grace. p.125
Moses was hot tempered but he became meek.
Two attitudes are possible in sin—we can fall down and get up; or we can fall down and stay there.
Should be positive—cultivation of virtues, more than the eradication...
Whoever is charged with character formation will do well to lay hold of what is best in people,searching for the gold and not the dross.There is some good in everybody.
In dealing with ourselves , we should look for what is worst and make it with God's grace, the occasion of spiritual growth.But in dealing with others, we should look for what is best, in order that,as we show mercy to others,God may show the grace of His mercy to us.p.133
August 4,Sunday
Went to Kanjrappally for Tomy's sister , Sr.Vimala's golden jubilee.I was given the role of the main celebrant. Karichan sang for the mass. Fr.Johny Puthiaparampil (Kattapana) was one of the con celebrants. At the congratulatory meeting after the mass, I was given the chance to make a short speech.Spoke about the article of Sr.Libby Osgood's decision to become a nun after giving up her job at the NASA as well as at the University where she was working after taking a Ph.D. in Mechanical engineering.Also went to Karikattuparmpil house and met their mother.The trip went OK.
Saw the movie on St.Peter on You Tube.The movie was good...graphic.Nero condemning Peter to be crucified.
Lord, have mercy on me.Increase my faith and let me feel totally dependent on you.You are the joy of my life.
August 5,Monday
Read Mathew Ch.7 which is to be read more often.So soothing and consoling.It speaks about the changes that should be made in our lives.Never judge.Be kind in our opinions of others.Remove selfishness from our life.Ask the Lord for everything that is needed in our life.God is our kind Father and he will give us whatever we ask for.Knock , it will opened.Seek, it will be found.Those who listen to him are people who built their house on the rock.A tree is known by its fruit.Good trees make good fruit.
O Lord, have mercy on me.Help me to become a dear follower of yours.Never do I have to feel diffident.There is more to be done.More reading and writing are needed.
Jesus is my strength and in him I should find my happiness and joy.Today, I will write more notes and use my time well.
Lord,thank you.
The Eighth Habit: Stephen Covey
Inspire others to find their voice.
Remember, anytime your emotional life is a function of someone else's weaknesses, you dis-empower yourself and empower those weaknesses to mess your life up.
When we see people separately from their behavior, we affirm their unconditional worth.
Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality—Warren Bennis

Only the disciplined are free; the undisciplined are slaves to moods.
Family Life.
Speaks of his wife's “abundance mentality” that allows him to spend time with his mother and others.
According to him, the most important work you do in the world will be within the walls of your home.” “No other success can compensate for failure in the home.”
Parenthood is the most important leadership responsibility in life and will provide the greatest levels of happiness and joy.
When true leadership—vision,discipline,passion and conscience—is not manifested in parenthood, it will provide the greatest source of sorrow.”
Burke: “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”
Because we all make mistakes, we all need to forgive and be forgiven.
Affirm people .Affirm your children.believe in them,not in what you see but in what you don't see—their potential.
Lord, thank you for these ideas.Help me to reflect on them and put them into practice. I will continue writing and reflecting in order to bear witness to you.
The news has come on TV that the Central Govt has abolished the special place given to Kashmir.The RS passed it.They got the advantage of a split opposition in the RS.
If the judiciary does not become strong, there is no way for people holding different ideologies from BJP will get any help.
Aug.7,Wednesday

Lord, thank you for your blessings.I will reflect your love and mercy.I am a sinner but I am alive because of your forgiveness.
From today on wards, I will reflect on the psalms one by one.
Walter Kasper's book,'A Celebration of Priestly Ministry” has some meaningful comments on the Eucharist.
Eucharist—the center and summit of the life of the post-Easter Church.The celebration of t he Eucharist will renew in each priest his strength , his courage  and his joy.
There is no repetition of the Sacrifice on the Cross in the Eucharist.
That which was done once and for all on the cross becomes really present here and now.(P.154)
The priest ought to live and do what he says, and to be what he does.He ought to live the Eucharist not only to celebrate it.And he ought to live it in solidarity with all those in his parish and in the whole world who are burdened down and bear the cross.( P.159)
Theologically speaking,it is obvious that the celebration of the Eucharist is the heart and center of the priest's existence, since all his other tasks  either lead up to the mass or are derived from it.
The celebration of the Eucharist is not only a goal and center; it is also a point of departure, the source of the power to carry out our mission.
Eucharistic communion must teach us a culture of sharing, of solidarity, and of fraternity.The celebration of the Eucharist must be a school of love of our neighbor.
The Eucharist must be the center and the source of meaning in our lives. p.161.
Lord, thank you for this teaching on the Eucharist.I have to begin my daily life from the Eucharist and to see everything that I experience daily in my life through the Eucharistic love of Jesus which consists in self-giving through love.Lord, change my heart and help me to feel one with you.
I am weak and helpless.You alone can empower me and give me the spiritual strength to overcome it s power.
Today I will start reflecting on the psalms.That will be my way of keeping myself unified with you.Whatever may be my occupations or travels, I will spend my time with you.
Psalm 150
Praise the Lord.Praise God in his sanctuary
Praise him in his mighty heavens
Praise him for his mighty deeds
The entire psalm is a request to praise the Lord.We should repeat the psalm or at least its  ideas,praising the Lord.Once we open our hearts and minds in praising God, we experience a sort of spiritual calm breeze blowing gently over our mind and heart , giving us peace.Yes, in times when our hearts are troubled, we have to sing this psalm until the tempests in our heart become calmed down.Lord, I praise and thank you.Be with me all the time.
Aug.8,Thursday
I read Mathew ch.13 where Jesus is seen healing a crippled man and asking him to stretch out his hand.I have to ask the Lord to heal me and stretch out the broken parts of my life.My sins have broken my body and I need the working of the Lord in my life.Be with me Jesus.Transform me.You are the joy of my life.I believe in you and trust in you.Be with me. Yesterday I shared a saying of Isaiah on my face book page:
“When you pass through the waters,I will be with you;and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;when you walk through fire, you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. Is.43 :2
“Above all keep loving one another earnestly,since love covers a multitude of sins. “1 Pt 4:8
Psalm.149
Praise the Lord!
Sing to the Lord a new song,
his praise in the assembly of the godly...
let them praise his name with dancing
making melody to him with tambourine and lyre..
This psalm revels in praising the Lord.There is an unabashed joy in offering praise to the Lord.Praising and the thanking the Lord are the best ways in keeping in touch with the Lord.When we praise the Lord, our hearts become lighter and free from selfishness and arrogance.Our hearts become filled with joy and the power of evil forces becomes defeated.
Lord, lift my heart and help me to thank and praise you.
Today Mr. Santosh gave a class on how to prepare an outcome based course preparation.We have to be clear and specific in what we are going to do with the course.It should be generic and action oriented.The purpose of the course is to make the students  become thoroughly conversant with the subject.
He also discussed the Bloom methodology.
Aug 9,Friday
It has been raining all night.There should be the possibility of many regions of Kerala getting submerged under water,Flooding and destruction of property  are possible.Lord, save everyone from mortal dangers.
This morning, I read  Mt ch.13 where Jesus speaks in parables—the parables of the sower, weeds,mustard seed, leaven, hidden treasure in a field highlighting the importance of the the kingdom of God and the need to keep and preserve it.Lord,give me the grace to be a person who lives for the kingdom of God and help me to preserve it.
Aug.10,Saturday
It was raining last night.Things might be  difficult for many people.So many might have lost their homes.

Praying is the most important thing that I can do.Lord, bless me.
I was searching for the Latin version of “ you are dust and unto dust you will return” :—Gen.3:19; Ecc.3:20
Pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris.
Peacock—symbol used in old Venice-it represents eternity.
Christianity adopted it as a symbol of eternity, immortality, resurrection.
It was believed in Gk legends that the flesh of peacock would not decay after its death.
Psalm 148
Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord from the heavens;
praise him in the heights!
Praise him all his angels;Praise him all his hosts
praise him sun and moon
This psalm asks every being or thing to praise the Lord.It is a loud  and joyous celebration of the name of the Lord for his protection .In moments of loneliness and sorrow, the singing of the psalm will soothe the pain in our hearts.When we raise our hearts to the Lord in gratitude, we become filled with peace and calmness in our hearts.
We praise you ,Lord.We adore you.
Bloom's taxonomy of knowledge , of measuring the level of teaching.Six categories.
RUA2EC
Remembering,Understanding,Applying,Analyzing,Evaluating and Creating.
I did not do much today.Just spent time here doing little things.Have not done any serious reading.

Aug.11 Sunday
O Lord, thank you for this day.Kerala is roiling in the aftermath of the flood.So many have lost their lives or their property, house or members of their families.Lord, have mercy on them.
Ps.147 (He  heals the broken-hearted)
Praise the Lord. Praising .For it is good to sing praises to our God
for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting.
The Lord builds up Jerusalem
He gathers the outcasts of Israel,He heals the broken- hearted
and binds up their wounds.
The Lord lifts up the humble;he casts the wicked to the ground.
Again in this psalm we hear a magnificent outburst of God's praises.God protects all and supplies them with the bounties of nature.He prerserves the Universe with all its gifts for the sake of man and hence wants all to praise the Lord for his gifts.
Aug13,Tuesday
The rains stopped for the time being.A lot of lives were lost and property was destroyed.People are living in temporary shelters.It is a great tragedy.It is people who live in the High Ranges and hills that lost their lives.People have to be moved from those places.
Today,I will use my time in praising the Lord.If I feel sleepy during day time, I will go to my room  and spend my time in prayers or saying the mass.I have to be firmly rooted in my faith and love of Jesus.In times, I feel diffident, I have to raise my hearts in prayer and repeat the name of Jesus.
I am now alone. My Jesus is with me; that is my consolation.
Last night ,Tom came with his wife, Leena, to invite me for the wedding at Chy.

Lord, I offer myself to you.I don't have to look for anybody's help.I have to stick with Jesus and do everything to spread his love and compassion.My mind should be free of all vain thoughts.
Aug.14,Wednesday
Today, I held the first class for the senior students for a batch of 14 students.They were very receptive.They are more concerned with pronunciation,accent, intonation etc. I have to prepare myself for it.Otherwise, I have not done much personal reading. I have to do some reading again.It was easy for me speaking about correct grammar and skills of communication. But here  there should be more detailed descriptions.
 Psalm 146—Put not your trust in princes
This psalm urges one not to put one's trust in men but in God. Men die and return to the earth.God is everlasting.He takes care of the poor and the lowly and hence we are asked to put our trust in the Lord.”Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,whose hope is in the Lord his God, who made heaven and earth ...who keeps faith forever.” I have to put my trust in the Lord and live in the shadow of his love and protection.I have to feel confident and happy.I should not allow diffident feelings to take over me.
Lord, thank you for your love and compassion.






 

No comments: